In this blog, you will discover Exciting Things To Do In Sitia, Crete. Crete has been an area of Greece that has captured the hearts of many visitors coming to see its many sites and views. And Sitia is a village in East Crete with ancient ruins surrounded by lush Mediterranean greenery. It’s fun to find all the little experiences tucked within the village, from swimming on the beach to hiking the hill and everything in between! Before you set off on your packed day exploring, I recommend you read this blog about things to do in Sitia.
1. Exploring the Old TownSitia is a beautiful town in East Crete, Greece. The Old Town is a great place to start exploring. It is full of narrow streets and quaint shops. Be sure to try the local food! The town’s main square is also worth a visit. It is a popular gathering place for locals and tourists alike.
2. Renting a carWhen traveling to Sitia in East Crete, Greece, it is best to rent a car. This will allow you to explore the area more freely and see all the important sights. You can book a rental car here. This company offers the lowest price guarantees, dedicated customer support, and free cancellation. They also have a range of car models that you can choose from. If you want to avoid renting a car, there are also many trails and beaches that you can visit by foot or bike. The area surrounding Sitia is very scenic and makes for a great hiking or biking destination.
3. Driving the 10-minute bike ride to the beachSitia beach is located on the eastern coast of Crete, Greece. Driving 10 minutes south from the city of Heraklion, you will find Sitia beach. The beautiful Sitia beach offers crystal-clear waters and long, sandy beaches. Visitors can find various activities and attractions nearby, such as eating at a local restaurant or taking a dip in the crystal-clear water. The local community creates unique souvenirs and sells fresh fruits and vegetables. If you’d like to enjoy the ocean views without leaving your car, you may want to bike to Sitia beach. This 10-minute ride takes you by the seashore and through picturesque villages. You can then relax on a white sand beach or explore nearby harbors.
4. Dancing and music on the pierOne thing to do when visiting Sitia in East Crete, Greece is to enjoy the lively atmosphere on the pier. There, you can dance and listen to music while admiring the beautiful view of the ocean. Another activity that visitors can enjoy is swimming in the clear waters of the sea. This is a great way to take a relaxing break from your traveling schedule. Sitia also features a wide variety of restaurants, shops, and bars. So, there is always something for everyone to do. Whether you are looking for a leisurely afternoon or an excursion into the city, Sitia has something for you.
5. Hiking up the volcano hillSitia is a popular tourist destination in East Crete, Greece. The town is located on the slope of a volcano, and it offers hiking trails up to the summit. Visitors can hike up the volcano hill or take a hike along the beach. The town also has many other attractions. There are several cafés and restaurants, as well as a market where visitors can buy souvenirs. Sitia is also close to several beaches, including Agios Georgios Beach and Kaliakra Bay.
6. Visiting the Archaeological Museum of Sitia
7. Boating and swimming near sharp rocksIf you’re looking for things to do when you’re in Sitia in East Crete, Greece, one option is to visit the nearby harbor and enjoy a boat ride or a swim near some sharp rocks. Avoid swimming near the coral reefs, as these areas can be quite unsafe. Instead, head to one of the clear waters around the harbor for a refreshing swim. Relax at one of the nice and clean beaches that are nearby. One of those options is a quick swim from the beach.
Platani beach is situated 60 kilometers east of Agios Nikolaos and 7 km west of Sitia. To get here, take the Faneromeni Monastery route, which begins close to the settlement of Skopi.
Two adjacent little pebbly beaches with extremely clear seas are located 2 kilometers after Skopi, right before the monastery. Agii Pantes, the first, is constructed near the mouth of the verdant Agii Pantes gorge, which is accessible by a hiking track.
You can see some beautiful limestone structures that resemble Pleurotus mushrooms close to the beach. Two freshwater springs can be found inside the gorge; one is known as Koutsounari and the other can be found inside a cave and is known as Hosto Nero.
Winter flooding transforms Agii Pantes’ beach into a significant wetland. Even if you’re not staying in this area or maybe even have never heard about it before, we strongly encourage taking a look at some photos.